Clippings by numama

 Sort by: Last Updated Post Date Post Title Forum Name 

RE: Forcing Plants from flower scapes (Follow-Up #4)

posted by: virgo45 on 09.18.2006 at 10:21 am in Daylily Forum

I read a thread some time ago that dealth with forcing Prolifics. It stated that by applying "Lanolin-BAP-1AA Paste" to the scape, you can force prolifics to develope. I have never tried it and have no knowledge of the product. Perhaps someone who is more familiar with this product will respond. Hope this is helpful.

NOTES:

<none>
clipped on: 09.19.2006 at 01:28 am    last updated on: 09.19.2006 at 01:28 am

RE: Hybridizing ? (Follow-Up #9)

posted by: virgo45 on 06.25.2006 at 12:32 am in Daylily Forum

Hi Jim23: The dark things are actually ABS pipes (24"L x 2"W plastic drain pipes)that I use to mark the row numbers. I have placed one every 20 rows and use them to help find the different crosses. I think I will update this and place a row marker every 10 rows to make it easier to find individual plants. I give each garden a number and number each row within the garden as well as each plant within each row. I call this my GRP system, Garden, Row and Plant number. Each of the nine gardens are about 70 feet long, 5 1/2 ft. wide with eight plants in each row (6" apart on all sides).
When I plant my seedlings I record the name of the cross (Pod x Pollen) and the GRP location of each seedling. This year I planted just under 900 seedlings from about 169 different crosses. In order to know who is who you must record the cross and location in some manner for future identification. When the seedlings flower I take pictures of them and file them by the GRP number for future evaluation and identification.

Weeds are a problem in any garden regardless of the width. I keep the bed 5 1/2 ft. wide so I can weed half the garden from each side. If you have a shorter reach you could reduce the width to something comfortable for yourself. I find that the biggest problem is the edging and not the weeding. Grass and clover grows into the sides of the beds about 6 inches each year and must be removed. Reducing the amount of edging you have to do by increasing the number of plants (width)in a bed should reduce maintenance. I installed the 5" wide plastic edging around all 9 beds this spring and hope it will help solve the problem. Grass clippings are organic material and of course is good for the daylilies. I don't like the looks of it for the first few days, but the worms soon pull it into the ground and that helps enrich the soil. The paths were 40" wide but I have cut them down to about 35". You want to keep the paths slightly wider than your lawn mower. I have not installed a watering system to date. However, it would be very helpful to have a watering system considering the size of my beds. The watering system is on my list of things to do. Thanks for your questions and hope this info is helpful. If you have further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

The following is a picture of this years seedlings. I used clear plastic knives to identify the different seedling crosses. If you look closely you can see them in the garden. I will remove these knives while verifying my GRP report for this garden. The stones on the right side marks every fifth row.

NOTES:

<none>
clipped on: 06.25.2006 at 02:10 am    last updated on: 06.25.2006 at 02:10 am