Clippings by ncsandyfeet

 Sort by: Last Updated Post Date Post Title Forum Name 

Before and After - Avocado Bathroom Update

posted by: equest17 on 07.31.2009 at 12:27 pm in Home Decorating Forum

Some of you may remember my post regarding the guest bath in our 70s home. I like earthy, warm tones and the bath fixtures all function fine, so I wanted to work with the avocado colors and update on a budget. Well, I finished most of the work a few months ago, but since were using the bath, I had to wait until my husband went out of town to complete the counter tops. I finally did, and heres what I have so far. We havent decided what to do about the floor yet, so I left the quarter round on the vanity white, but that will change eventually. I dont have many accessories and I havent finished the matching window valance, but I was eager to take photos while everything was clean and tidy.

The walls are SW Ecru; the photos don't show it well, but it made a huge difference and I really love this shade. I primed and base coated the laminate counter with SW Harmonic Tan and sponged on various acrylic paints for a faux granite look. The fabric is Waverly Indienne on the bottom and just something I found to match at Hobby Lobby for the top. The curtain rod is a bamboo pole I cut to fit, and I have another matching one for the future window valance. I've since added trim to the shower curtain and may use the same trim on the paper shades I bought at the thrift store for $1 each. I'm still considering different sconces, but these look nice for now (one needs to be rewired, hence the unlit bulb). All in all, I've only spent about $75 since I repurposed several things, like the mirrors from another bath, leftover grasscloth wallpaper and paint, etc. The faucets will be changed out for brushed nickel, which will be the biggest expense.

Before
Photobucket

After
Photobucket

Before
Photobucket

After
Photobucket

Before
Photobucket

During
Photobucket

After
Photobucket

NOTES:

<none>
clipped on: 08.15.2009 at 10:27 pm    last updated on: 08.15.2009 at 10:30 pm

RE: Before and After - Avocado Bathroom Update (Follow-Up #33)

posted by: equest17 on 07.31.2009 at 06:58 pm in Home Decorating Forum

You all have really made my day! I wish now that I had finished all the details like the valance and the faucets so you could get the whole picture. We're young and have more energy and ideas than money most of the time, but I'm so glad to know it doesn't show!

As far as the details, I cleaned the counter well with a green scrubbing pad and homemade scouring powder (baking soda, borax, and salt), but any abrasive cleanser should work. I rinsed and wiped it down, then trimmed away some of the excess caulk around the sinks. I brushed on a coat of SW Adhesion Primer. Its pretty thin and goes a very long way, so a quart should be plenty. I let it dry overnight, but that might not be necessary. In the morning, I did two coats of satin base color SW Harmonic Tan. I didnt tape off for this, since I wanted to get really close to the wall and sinks. I let this dry for a day as well; again, that might be overkill, but I wanted to make sure everything was fully cured. I used blue painters tape along the wall and around the sinks after the base coat was set.

I bought a set of two sea sponges at Hobby Lobby; one was bigger and softer, the other smaller and a bit stiffer. I picked acrylic paints that coordinated with my fabric; I used Americana brand Raw Umber and Camel and Anitas All Purpose brand Black, Safari Taupe, and Olive Green. I dampened the large sea sponge, dipped it in the paint on a paper plate, and smeared it around on the plate to get off the excess. I dabbed on the black first, then raw umber, and then the lighter colors. Use a light pouncing motion and dont let it smear or it looks unrealistic.

I didnt wait long enough for each color to set at first and it started to look a bit muddied. So I sponged the base color on very generously over the whole thing to reset the stage a bit. This worked really well, but if I had waited longer between paints, it might not have been necessary. Then again, it might be what gave me such a realistic look! I went back over with all the colors again using the smaller, stiffer sponge to break up any big blotches of color and get into the tight places. I used very little green and khaki (Safari Taupe), just little bits here and there to tie in the room colors. The black, raw umber, and Harmonic Tan base coat were really the key players. I think you could use these paints and add an accent color or two of any muted shade and make it work with other fabrics or dcor.

After it all dried, I used three coats of water based polyurethane. It left some brush strokes I wasnt thrilled with, so I may experiment with a different product or application method if there is a next time. Also, I would recommend removing the painters tape before the poly coat if you have a steady hand. I neglected to and the tape peeled off a bit of the poly in some places.

Well, thats it in a nutshell. Hope that wasnt too many details, but since I had to figure it out as I went, I wanted to share as much as possible. Heres a close up picture so you can see the mix of colors.

Photobucket

NOTES:

<none>
clipped on: 08.15.2009 at 10:29 pm    last updated on: 08.15.2009 at 10:29 pm