Clippings by magdaloonie

 Sort by: Last Updated Post Date Post Title Forum Name 

How My Island was made

posted by: pamritchie on 07.10.2008 at 07:46 am in Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

The first step is to get a piece of plyboard, or cardboard, either will work. Set the pot you want to use one the board and arrange where you want you plants to sit. cut holes in board. I used a piece of pond liner and cut holes in it to match the holes in the board.You could use any plastie to keep the foam from sticking to the board and to keep the fish from pecking at the bottom of the island,
frame 2
I added some metal, the white things, for strength. You could use anything stiff for this, the green thing is a floating thing kids play with in pools, I cut it down the middle so it would lay flat in the board. I taped it all down to the board with heat duct tape.
frame 1
Next comes the "Triple Expanding Foam", I used 5 cans. I got it for $3.00 at a dollar store.
first foam
More foam
more foam
I used 4 or 5 different color paint greens and browns. Planted the containers, put the island in the pond and added the plants.
Don't let the foam can get hot, Keep them in the shade. Once you have sprayed out 2 or 3 cans move the island into full sun. It seems to expand more in the sun. The next day you can bring the island back to the shade and use the rest of your foam to fill in some of the holes.


Pam's Island. Plywood/cardboard is just a form. remove it after it all sets up. Going to make one next year!.
clipped on: 07.14.2008 at 09:02 am    last updated on: 07.14.2008 at 09:04 am

RE: Dirty pond water!!! Help (Follow-Up #5)

posted by: coastal_ponder on 06.25.2008 at 04:04 pm in Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

magdaloonie, i'll try to get a photo or two and send them to you. is your email address up to date? might be a day or two though.

in answer to your questions, it depends on how bad the water is. when i first used it i had to clean the pad every 4 or 5 hours the first day then once a day etc etc.
it took me about an hour to build and the only real expense was the hose and some clamps, all of which i bought at lowes. i was having some severe problems with some scummy algae. between adding some potash and this filter it was cleaned up in a few days. the filter would collect the floating scum as it rose to the top. the potash allowed my plants grow better thus reducing future algae problems.


clipped on: 06.25.2008 at 08:47 pm    last updated on: 06.25.2008 at 08:47 pm

RE: Dirty pond water!!! Help (Follow-Up #3)

posted by: coastal_ponder on 06.25.2008 at 01:49 pm in Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

i built a prefilter made of 2 small buckets. i put a nipple in the bottom side of one bucket that would fit a matching nipple that i placed on the intake side of the pump and a hose between the pump and that bucket. i took another bucket and drilled 4 2" holes in the bottom. i put a stone in the bottom of the bucket with the nipple in it to keep it on the bottom. i then placed the bucket with the holes in the bottom inside the other bucket. i made a pad of quilt batting to put in the bottom of the bucket with holes and then a small stone to keep it from floating out, then the whole rig goes into the pond. you will need to purge the air from the hose by filling the buckets then lifting them to allow water to fill the hose. i only use this on occasion and it works well to help clear up the water. you will be surprised how much gunk is in that quilt batting when you clean it. you may have to clean the batting frequently to start with. i actually have used mine as a sort of skimmer by adjusting the height to where it was a 1/2 to 3/4 inch under the water. i made to hose long enough to allow me to remove the filter to clean without disturbing the pump.


clipped on: 06.25.2008 at 08:46 pm    last updated on: 06.25.2008 at 08:47 pm

RE: fish transporting (Follow-Up #4)

posted by: sleeplessinftwayne on 04.19.2008 at 07:22 am in Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

And a good way to keep the oxygen levels high is to put in a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in the water at a rate of 1 teaspoonful per gallon of water per 3 days.
When we moved from NYC to Indiana the kids would not leave their fish behind so we put the darlings in a five gallon bucket with a bubbler and a dose of the peroxide. At night when we stopped at a motel the first thing to be done was to plug in the bubbler. All fishies survived, no thanks to the changes in temperature. I suspect the AC helped there. The fishies were in the bucket almost two weeks. Sandy


clipped on: 04.19.2008 at 09:30 am    last updated on: 04.19.2008 at 09:31 am